Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Glory in Suffering

The six week sermon series at my church has been all about God's will and it has been amazing! Last Sunday's message was specifically about God's Will and Suffering. The point of the message was that God's will for us can include hard times (AKA: suffering) in order to grow our character and our relationship with Him.

As Yancy mentions in the sermon, many people think that if things aren't going "well," they must not be in God's will. (And quite honestly, I know people who think that they are being punished for doing something wrong) But it is just NOT true. "God loves you enough not to give you everything you want." Think about it, if God gave you everything you wanted, when/how would you learn to lean on Him and grow in your faith?

I had my own sort of realization ("Ah ha" moment) about all this a few months ago. Here's the conversation I had with my husband:

Me: Not knowing is the hardest part! If God would just tell me, "Katie, you are not going to get pregnant now like YOU want, but in three years, you will!" I could have complete peace in that!

Jeff: But Katie, that's not faith.

Me: Ah haaa!

Now, it's not that I didn't understand faith, but it was that moment when I realized I wasn't completely trusting my faith.

As difficult as this journey has been, I truly do believe that God is using this hard time in my life to build my character and to grow my relationship with Him. And a bonus, I have been able to use my PCOS and infertility to glorify God! My experiences have actually opened doors for me to share my faith (including this blog ;).

Romans 5:3-5  3More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, 5and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

I encourage you to listen to this sermon (It is less than 30 minutes long.) Click the podcast below to listen.

Knowing God's Will: God's Will and Suffering

No comments:

Post a Comment